Sep 17, 2010

LogMeIn


Have you ever called in to get help to fix your computer? If you are among the many who have had to dealt with an IT person over the phone, they most likely had to go to a link which gave them access to your computer.  This is called remote desktoping, or in other words, connecting directly (via the internet or internal network) from one computer to another. 


Have you ever been put in a situation where you wish you could simply SHOW your friend/parent/grandma how to do something with their computer WITHOUT attempting to patiently guide them step by step in a painstaking manner (often bundled with errors due to improper execution of procedures)?  Let me introduce you to LogMeIn.

LogMeIn.com is a tool you may use to access your computer from anywhere in the world!  Well, as long as it's connected to the internet and not powered down. 

Here's a quick rundown:
Recent functionality has just been added so you may access your computer from your iPhone, iPad, and smartphone.

If you read my Dropbox post you know I helped set up my grandma's computer.  I made sure to also set up a Logmein-free account for her computer.  The reasoning behind it is so I (or my parents) may help her with her computer problems in the leisure of our own homes.  Often times the problem is simple such as not being able to get to a webpage because the hyperlinked shortcut disappeared from the desktop.  If you decide to purchase the Pro version of Logmein you will have a lot more functionality at your disposal.  They give you the pro as a trial for a couple days and in the time I had it I remember logging into my desktop computer from my laptop and listening to the music with my laptop speakers.  Other neat things include direct transferring of files in a drag & drop manner.

Anyways, check it out and drop me a line to let me know what you think.  You may never know when it'll come in handy.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

9 years ago, my son, Michael, participated in a school-wide science fair of the imagination. His "invention" was called the Com-mote (Computer Remote). He imagined that you could completely connect to your computer from anywhere in the world, and access files, add or remove stuff, turn it on or off, etc. It was a fun & interesting project for him.

This semester, as I am taking this class, & am introduced to all this cool technology, I often refer him to much of it. Lately, Michael's favorite line is "everyday i feel the copyright privileges of the com-mote slipping out of my fingers."

This awesome program, LogMeIn, is just another nail on his ComMote coffin! Sad for Michael, but fascinatingly exciting for the world!