Sep 17, 2010

Dropbox


https://www.dropbox.com/
A fellow student in one of my classes introduced Dropbox to me at the beginning of the year.  It has been so resourceful that I've told everyone I can (when computer stuff is brought up) about it!  Let me introduce it to you with this video available on Dropbox's homepage.





Practical use for Grandmas:
Over the summer I helped upgrade my grandmas computer (a college student's nightmare).  She informed me that she had lots of floppy disks I could use to move her files over.  Thinking of that process made me shudder and almost want to vomit in my mouth.  Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but to say the least, I was very happy to inform her I could simply use the internet to transfer her files and reload them back onto her computer.  Now that thought I'm sure made her shudder.  Her eyes got really big and replied slowly, "On the internet?!"  Old people talk of the incredible changes in technology continued in her family room while I went to her office to set up a free Dropbox account and begin uploading her genealogy history files and her desktop shortcuts and a few images.  Once her new computer was set up I signed into Dropbox under her account and installed the software and within an hour or two, her computer was all set up with her former files.

Practical use for anyone with two computers:
As for myself and for all those who own two computers, I use it as a means to keep all my data in one centralized location.  I rent a laptop at college so I have a computer to use in my classes and to do misc homework/research in areas other than my apartment. 

Before I used Dropbox, I would:
1) save my assignments to a flash drive, take it to school, and load it up onto my secondary computer or lab computer.
2)email the assignment to myself, log into my email account once at school, and retrieve it to work on it.

Both of these methods took approximately 2-3 minutes to perform, but now with Dropbox, it's only a second or two.

Sign up at: https://www.dropbox.com/
You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

Jeff Whitlock said...

Thanks for the great suggestion Danny, I can already sow how useful Dropbox is going to be.