Sep 17, 2010

Interior Design Assignment

The purpose of this assignment in my interior design class is to experience contrasting options when purchasing furniture.  I visited three stores and here's my analysis.


Furniture Store Visits on September 17, 2010
RC Willey: 
This was my second time going into RC Willey and being able to identify interior design concepts as opposed to simply being fascinated by sheer beauty completely made my visit worthwhile!  As I entered the store the first thing that caught my eye was the arched ceiling which had architectural lighting to emphasize the paint pattern & texture on the ceiling.  Right away I was able to identify multiple Doric & Ionic styled columns.  I never realized how significant each little part (fluting, abacus, echinus, acanthus leaves) was.  Many of the back legs on the chairs resembled that of a saber leg.  One thing that I was curious about was the "golden" mean rule for having wall wooden borders.  In RC Willey it appeared as though they didn't follow that particular rule, but kept their border approximately 1/4 of the way down from the ceiling.  It's possible that the colored paint in the background needs to be visible above the large furniture so it's set up so you can see the colored wall above and all around the objects you're viewing.  One lady thought I was one of her employee's nephew (that was random).  There was a lot sale this day and on the outside there was a lot of furniture in the parking lot.  The exceptional quality of their products and the decorations surrounding modeled rooms really put me at ease and I felt as though I could chill in a corner for the entire day and be content with simply looking at my surroundings.  Oh, and I've been wondering what one would fill in the corner of a room if a bed was positioned diagonally in a room (leaving a large chunk open, inaccessible, and useless).  In RC Willey they simply put a tall fake green plant and a tall lamp for lighting.  It looked simple and simply amazing!  I also saw a couple large candles.  One was $80 and the other $200!  They were as large as a fire hydrants and the patterned colors matched with the theme of the balanced room.  I kind of wanted to light all ten of the wicks on the two candles but then, I have better things to spend $280 on while I'm at college.


Basset Furniture Direct:
I realized after returning home that Basset fell in the same category as RC Willey for this assignment but I'll still write a little about my visit because I'm glad I dropped in and learned more about their business.  When I first walked in the thing that caught my eye was a huge bed displayed about six to eight feet in front of me.  When I looked around the bed I saw couches and pillows.  My first impressions were that they specialized in selling couches and beds.  When I walked around the corner and saw a lot of empty space my impressions weren't that great because I was comparing them to the grand RC Willey and their extensive decorated rooms.  A lady approached me and after I told her what I was doing she gave me a very good run-down of their business and what they do and specialize in.  After realizing that they customize furniture so you may select ANY fabric or material you could ever desire, my opinion on them changed dramatically.  She flipped through a catalog near the end of my visit to show me some of the items they have made in the past.  Essentially, if you decide to purchase from Basset, you're getting help from professional interior designers.  They're in a different market segment than that of RC Willey, but also claim that they're the cheaper than all their competitors.


Alice Lane:
This small showroom was considerably different than the previous two stores I visited because its products were VERY unique.  I kind of felt as though they were more in the market of "fad" furniture and household accessories.  If you're looking for a one-of-the-kind item to show off in your house you can easily find one in this store.  One thing that caught my eye was movable track lights scattered throughout the store (as opposed to general fluorescents).  One of the employees informed me it was their second year birthday as a business and that I was welcome to have some of the assortments of candy on their front desk.  Honestly, I didn't really like this store.  I thought it was trendy but I didn't get sucked in with their displays.  I'm thinking that possibly one of the reasons for this is there were windows everywhere and it was around 6:30pm so the light coming into the store was a very warm/hot one which added glare to a lot of the products I was viewing.  The number one thing that impressed me was a base of a trunk of a large tree which was sanded down, treated, and in the form of a table in front of a couch.  Anyways, simple pleasures for simple minds I suppose. 

No comments: